Sunday, February 20, 2005

where am i going with this back pain and urge?

?Query//what I will write about this week on Dagzine

if there is anything to say at all
meaning what I say or saying what I mean
you'll steal from my tooth a sound bite.

again,
leave me to locate it in my breath. That
such a guy thing to do.

Topics today:
  • poetry and value: the Value of value: the market, names, brands, the other
  • no such thing as a true narrative, only trued narratives--structuralism must die a little death with each utterance for thought to shine through language, for thought to have a chance
  • Corless-Smith has me reading Traherne, Whitman, Williams, metaphysics, Merleau-Ponty: more on this, too much, thanks Martin, as if I don't have enough to do already: I'll have to work this into my writing lectures somehow.
  • Wagner's got me singing poems--I like that. But these things tend to stick in the head, then, and this effects memory in interesting and engaged ways. Can we file experience away in moments that recall what was once forgotten in tabbed lyrics? If so, does the quality of the lyric determine to some extent the quality of the recollection? If so, do photographs matter? Are soundtracks more significant? Playful.

Reading today:
  • The Faber Book of Utopias (working on BDD Press call for submissions, Angry Utopias.)
  • Nota, Martin Corless-Smith
  • Macular Hole, Catherine Wagner
  • The Frequencies & The Area of Sound Called the Subtone, Noah Eli Gordon (third read...great reads both, I am reviewing them for the next Double Room. )
  • Antidotes for an Alibi, Amy King

1 comment:

totalvo said...

I would have to say that the wagner coreless-smith reading was one of the better readings I have been to. I am reading a wonderful book right now called " The hackers manifesto"