Thursday, March 10, 2005

Good stuff

Gary Sullivan
Nada Gordon
Gary and Nada have both asked two wonderful questions this week. Both are worth the effort to answer.

Julia Mayhew
Julia is 9 and keeps a wonderful blog full of "poetry and other creative writings." I enjoy checking in and reading Julia's work. Though my family--read parents--have some worries about my choice of craft now (mostly over politics and financial security,) they fully supported my creativity before, say, 17. That's when my creativity began to radicalize in a way strange to them and our family. Needless to say, I had to leave home. And fast. Best for all really. But I wouldn't be where I am at today without their encouragement. So, Julia's blog makes me smile in a very warm way. Reminds me of sitting in the house on weekends reading the days away, or the summers for that matter, or with my mom drawing or pressing leaves into wax paper. Very nice thoughts.

It's easy to dismiss much of our individual pasts as hurdles to our current and ever-changing presents. Experience is always much more complicated than that.

No comments: